This page contains a list of user images about SOTY which are relevant to the point and besides images, you can also use the tabs in the bottom to browse SOTY news, videos, wiki information, tweets, documents and weblinks.
Music video by Rihanna performing Take A Bow. YouTube view counts pre-VEVO: 66288884. (C) 2008 The Island Def Jam Music Group.
A substitute teacher from the inner city refuses to be messed with while taking attendance.
Download this song: http://bit.ly/EpicRap7 New ERB merch: http://bit.ly/MNwYxq Tweet this Vid-ee-oh: http://clicktotweet.com/TpUg9 Hi. My name is Nice Peter,...
Music video by Taylor Swift performing Back To December. (C) 2011 Big Machine Records, LLC.
Music video by P!nk performing Try (The Truth About Love - Live From Los Angeles). (C) 2012 RCA Records, a division of Sony Music Entertainment.
"Just One Last Time" feat. Taped Rai. Available to download on iTunes including remixes of : Tiësto, HARD ROCK SOFA & Deniz Koyu http://smarturl.it/DGJustOne...
Macklemore & Ryan Lewis present the official music video for Can't Hold Us feat. Ray Dalton. Can't Hold Us on iTunes: https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/cant-...
This video accidentally turned out kind of sad, ME SO SOWWY IT NOT POSED TO BE SAD WHO WANTS HUGS AND COOKIES? Also, FYI for anyone attempting this, it takes...
Jimmy reveals that he is f*@#ing Ben Affleck.
LIKE/FAV We got 45 burgers, a whole bunch of liquor and bacon.... this is Fast Food Lasagna. Buy TSHIRTS!! Click Here! http://shop.epicmealtime.com/ Like on ...
So i was pretty hesitant to make this video... but after all of your request, here is my Draw My Life video! Check out my 2nd Channel for more vlogs: http://...
Buy at iTunes: http://goo.gl/zv4o9. New album on sale now! http://turtleneckandchain.com.
||This article may require copy editing for grammar, style, cohesion and spelling. (November 2012)|
|Student of the Year|
Theatrical release poster
|Directed by||Karan Johar|
|Produced by||Hiroo Yash Johar
|Screenplay by||Rensil D'Silva|
|Editing by||Deepa Bhatia|
Red Chillies Entertainment
|Distributed by||Dharma Productions (India)
Eros Entertainment (International)
|Running time||146 minutes|
|Box office||63 crore (US$12 million)
(domestic nett. gross)
Student of the Year is a 2012 Indian coming-of-age romantic comedy film directed by Karan Johar and produced by Hiroo Yash Johar under the banner of Dharma Productions and Gauri Khan under the banner of Red Chillies Entertainment. It features newcomers Sidharth Malhotra, Alia Bhatt and Varun Dhawan in the lead roles with Rishi Kapoor, Sana Saeed, Ronit Roy, Ram Kapoor and Farida Jalal in supporting ones. The movie also features Boman Irani, Kajol, Farah Khan and Vaibhavi Merchant in guest appearances.
Student of the Year was released on 19 October 2012 in over 1400 screens across India and was a critical and commercial success and garnered positive to mixed reviews from critics and good box office collections. Boxofficeindia.com declared it a 'hit' after its three-week run.
Dean of St. Teresa College, Yogindra Vashist (Rishi Kapoor) is in the hospital. Kaizaad "Sudo" Sodabottleopenerwala (Kayoze Irani), Tanya Israni (Sana Saeed), Jeet Khurana (Sahil Anand) and Shruti Pathak (Mansi Rachh) reminisce about their years in St. Teresa College and the events that led up to the present day.
In a flashback, Rohan Nanda (Varun Dhawan), the son of a business tycoon, Ashok Nanda (Ram Kapoor), grapples with a complex relationship with his father and knows that winning the Student Of the Year trophy will bag him the approval that he subconsciously craves for. Shanaya Singhania (Alia Bhatt) is the popular yet arrorgant girl whom every guy in the college wants to be with. Abhimanyu "Abhi" Singh (Sidharth Malhotra), who comes from a middle-class family, is there on a scholarship, and wants to achieve great heights of success and prosperity; the first step to which will be the Student of the Year trophy. When the two male protagonists, Rohan and Abhi, with distinct backgrounds and clear goals, clash with each other in the locker room, football field and the canteen, there is no question in anyone's mind that the preset equations of the St. Teresa's campus are about to change.
When Abhi and Rohan’s rivalry takes an unexpected turn to friendship, neither pre-empts the complications that would brew. When introduced to Rohan's father, Abhi admits that he wanted to be like him, which prompts Ashok to say that Abhi is more like a son to him, and that he doesn't approve of what Rohan does. Things are further knotted up when Shanaya enters the equation. While Shanaya and Rohan are childhood sweethearts, Abhi is attracted to Shanaya at first, but when confronted by Rohan, dismisses her as 'not his type'. Tanya, continues to try and weaken the relationship of Shanaya and Rohan, by flirting unabashedly with Rohan who enjoys her attention, causing Shanaya to feel upset time and time again. She seeks the help of Abhimanyu, who helps her make Rohan realise what he's missing out on by making him jealous during his elder brother's wedding in Thailand. As Shanaya flirts with Abhimanyu to try and reclaim Rohan's attention, which she eventually does, Abhimanyu falls in love with Shanaya. Looming large over the various friendships in the campus is the Student Of The Year trophy and the Dean's emphasis on success and victory, which they face upon returning to school from the wedding.
Abhi gradually moves away from Shanaya after she finds out that he likes her, and despite her attempts to reconnect with him, he doesn't respond. After Rohan, Abhi and Shanaya are selected for the competition, Abhi and Shanaya's team win the first segment of the competition. To celebrate Abhi's victory Rohan invites himself to Abhi's uncle's house, where Abhi's grandma has a sudden cardiac arrest. The next day, Shanaya turns up with flowers to see Abhi's grandma which then becomes a routine that brings her closer to Abhi. After Abhi's grandma dies, he turns reclusive and tries to avoid everyone including Shanaya, but a sudden moment of spark leads to them kissing only to be caught by Rohan. A fight between Rohan and Abhi ensues, in which both of them get severely hurt. Beat up, Rohan arrives home, where his father Ashok argues with him about his actions, which prompts Rohan to say that he doesn't want to be his son anymore and walks out. The foes-turned-friends-turned foes, Abhi and Rohan, are ready for a face-off and battle lines are drawn through the length and breadth of the campus, with only one goal in everyone’s eyes - the Student Of The Year trophy. During the second segment of the competition, Rohan realizes that Shanaya does love Abhi, but can't show it because of the tension between the three. In the final segment, Rohan wins, with Abhi coming in as a very close second. At the award ceremony, Dean gives the award to Rohan, but he doesn't accept it. A drunk Sudo insults Dean for creating an award which created rifts among friends.
Ten years later, when Abhi and Rohan meet, it is revealed that Shanaya married Abhi, who is now a business tycoon like Rohan's father and Rohan has fulfilled his dream of becoming a musician. It is also revealed that Rohan did not accept the award because he knew that Abhi lost on purpose. Abhi explains his actions by telling Rohan that he saw his father enjoying Rohan lose, after which he decided to slow down to teach Rohan's father a lesson. Another argument sparks another fight between Rohan and Abhi, which then ends in them making up. In the end, it is shown Abhi and Rohan racing together in a stadium, showing that nothing can break their friendship forever.
- Sidharth Malhotra as Abhimanyu Singh
- Varun Dhawan as Rohan Nanda
- Alia Bhatt as Shanaya Singhania
- Rishi Kapoor as Dean Yoginder Vashisht
- Sana Saeed as Tanya Israni
- Sahil Anand as Jeet Khurana
- Mansi Rachh as Shruti Pathak
- Kayoze Irani as Kaizad "Sudo" Sodabottleopenerwala
- Manjot Singh as Dimpy
- Ronit Roy as Coach Shah
- Ram Kapoor as Ashok Nanda
- Gautami Kapoor as Gayatri Nanda
- Farida Jalal as Abhimanyu's grandmother (Extended Cameo)
- Akshay Anand as Abhimanyu's uncle (Extended Cameo)
- Manini Mishra as Geetha Singh (Abhimanyu's aunt) (Extended Cameo)
- Prachi Shah as Coach Shah's wife (Extended Cameo)
- Nandini Sen as Shanaya's mom (Extended Cameo)
- Sushma Seth as Yoginder's mother (Cameo)
- Boman Irani as Harkishan Sanan (guest appearance)
- Kajol in a guest appearance in 'The Disco Song'
- Farah Khan in a guest appearance as a judge in 'The Disco Song'
- Vaibhavi Merchant in a guest appearance as a judge in 'The Disco Song'
On 5 January 2011, Karan Johar uploaded the first look poster of the new film on the micro-blogging website Twitter. Student of the Year marks the debuts of Alia Bhatt, the daughter of filmmaker Mahesh Bhatt, Varun Dhawan, the son of director David Dhawan, Sidharth Malhotra, Boman Irani's son Kayoze Irani and Kuch Kuch Hota Hai fame Sana Saeed (role of "Anjali" as the daughter of Shah Rukh Khan and Rani Mukerji).
The first official trailer was released on 2 August 2012. Karan Johar later tweeted saying that the film will be released on 19 October 2012.
On 16 August 2011, director Karan Johar took the Mahurat shot, and famous Mumbai socialite Parmeshwar Godrej rolled the cameras. Some parts of the movie were shot in Kashmir and Dehradun (Forest Research Institute, Dehradun). The external view of the school was taken from Kasiga School, Dehradun whose name was changed to St. Teresa. Rob Miller of ReelSports, who had worked with Shahrukh Khan on Chak De India, was hired to direct the sports action in Student of the Year.
The film targeted viewers with contest-based marketing. Stressing ‘competition’ which would make up for a significant part of the movie, contests such as 'Nano Student of the Year', ‘The Buddy of the Year’ and ‘FedEx International Student of the Year’ were launched targeting students across the country.
Tata Motors, on-ground promotion partner for the movie, launched the ‘Nano Student of the Year’ contest for all college students in India. In the first round, students were judged on four parameters namely academics, culture, sports and social life. The top eight finalists would compete for the ‘Nano Student of the Year’ title. The contest has been running across India since mid-September 2012.
The production house recently tied up with FedEx Express announcing a special ‘FedEx Student Offer’ and launch of ‘FedEx International Student of the Year’ campaign. It was aimed at individuals in India applying for higher education abroad. Student of the Year was promoted across non-fiction properties such as Kaun Banega Crorepati on Sony Entertainment Television and Jhalak Dikhla Jaa and Bigg Boss on Colors. Radio stations such as Red FM, Radio City, Big FM were been used for the promotion of the film and its music.
|Student of the Year|
|Soundtrack album by Vishal-Shekhar|
|Released||31 August 2012|
|1.||"The Disco Song"||Anvita Dutt Guptan||Benny Dayal, Sunidhi Chauhan, Nazia Hassan||5:42|
|2.||"Ishq Wala Love"||Anvita Dutt Guptan||Shekhar Ravjiani, Salim Merchant, Neeti Mohan||4:18|
|3.||"Radha"||Anvita Dutt Guptan||Shreya Ghoshal, Udit Narayan, Vishal Dadlani||5:41|
|4.||"Ratta Maar"||Anvita Dutt Guptan||Vishal Dadlani, Shefali Alvares||3:30|
|5.||"Kukkad"||Anvita Dutt Guptan||Shahid Mallya, Nisha Mascarenhas||4:22|
|6.||"Vele"||Anvita Dutt Guptan||Shekhar Ravjiani, Vishal Dadlani||3:50|
|7.||"Mashup Of The Year"||Anvita Dutt Guptan||Various artists, DJ Kiran Kamath||3:02|
Critical reception 
The music album of Student of the Year received positive critical response.Joginder Tuteja of Bollywood Hungama gave the album 4/5 stars, saying that "Student Of The Year is a winner all the way with Vishal Shekhar (yet again) justifying their stance of doing a few films but lending quality sound to it. They create the kind of score which totally compliments the mood of the campus setting without straying even once." IANS of CNN-IBN gave the album 4/5 stars, concluding that "The soundtrack of Student Of The Year is a good mix with very minor flaws that can surely be ignored to enjoy the music that perfectly describes the mood of the movie." Satyajit of Yahoo! gave the album 3.5/5 stars, stating that "Student Of The Year is complete youthful musical entertainment, an album that brings all the positive elements of a typical Karan Johar entertainer. Vishal Shekhar delivers a potential winner this time."
Critical reception 
Upon release,Student Of The Year received positive to mixed reviews from critics. Taran Adarsh of Bollywood Hungama gave 4/5 stars, saying that "Student Of The Year is a love story that traverses the trodden path. But KJo is an artisan with intellect and taste and he ensures that the script is spruced up and modernized with such elan that it doesn't offend the spectator's wisdom or intelligence. The accomplished director takes on familiar material and gives it an entirely new twirl. This is escapist cinema at its best! On the whole, Student Of The Year is amongst Karan Johar's most accomplished works. The youth brigade would love it and those who have already past that age would want to revisit those days. This one's entertainment, entertainment and entertainment at its best. Clearly, KJo has a winner on hands, yet again!" Madhureeta Mukherjee of The Times of India gave the film 3.5/5 stars, stating that "Student Of The Year takes you back to your books and sinks you in true-blue Bollywood syllabus, following the 'formula' - Two boys, one girl, one glorious trophy and lots of testosterone. It is larger-than-life, colourful, lavish, beautifully shot and directed. With medleys, dance, drama and everything good-looking (from cast to couches, dorms to discos)."
Rajeev Masand of IBNLive gave it 3 out of 5 stars and wrote, "Nitpickings aside, this is a breezy, enjoyable film by a director who knows his craft." He remarked, "If fun is what you’re seeking, you won't be disappointed." Giving the film 3 out of 5 stars, Anupama Chopra of Hindustan Times wrote, "Karan Johar's forte is excess. He creates fantastical worlds brimming with beautiful people and expensive things and yet anchors them in high emotion. His films work as both designer porn and soap opera." She also praised the performance of the cast. Sukanya Verma of Rediff gave 3/5 stars, commenting that "Student Of The Year is no Kuch Kuch Hota Hai but Karan Johar makes it look good." Rubina A Khan of The First Post gave the film 3/5 stars, stating that "Student Of The Year is not KJo's finest work. Sure, it’s got all the elements of finesse and expansive production values that his films are known for, but he has also been very pivotal in directing and producing films with engaging stories in the past." Kanika Sikka of DNA India gave 2.5/5 stars, concluding that "Student Of The Year is not something you would want to miss if the surreal setting with bubble gum romance is your calling. The performances make this film a great watch." Saibal Chatterjee of NDTV gave the film 2.5/5 stars, commenting that "Student Of The Year definitely isn't the film of the year. But if you like your entertainment to be served up with glitzy but pulpy garnishing, pirouette your way to the nearest screen by all means." Ananya Bhattacharya of Zee News gave the film 2/5 stars, saying that "Student Of The Year is worth a watch only for the debutantes. They have really pulled off a tough task of playing praiseworthy roles in a film which suffers from the lack-of-a-story syndrome."
Box office 
Student of the Year had a good opening at multiplexes while little lower at single screens due to limited release where it had collected 7.48 crore (US$1.4 million) on its opening day. The film showed a little growth on its second day and collected 8.50 crore (US$1.6 million) nett. Student of the Year collected a decent figure of around 25.25 crore (US$4.6 million) at the end of its first weekend. It did very well and collected 43.07 crore (US$7.9 million) nett in its first week. The film had a moderate second weekend where it earned around 8 crore (US$1.5 million) nett. Student of the Year had a drop in its second and third week where it had collected 14 crore (US$2.6 million) and 3.25 crore (US$590,000) respectively to make a total of 63.25 crore (US$12 million) in three weeks.
Student Of The Year released in 300 screens and collected $1.25 million, which was termed "below the mark" as Dharma Productions is considered one of the big brands of Hindi cinema. It collected around $1.85 million in ten days. The film fell in the second week in most markets. Student of the Year closed on around $2.25 million in overseas markets, at the end of theatrical run.
Home Media 
A two disc DVD set was released on 24 December 2012.
- "STUDENT OF THE YEAR (12A) - British Board of Film Classification". 16 October 2012. Retrieved 17 October 2012.
- "Box office". Retrieved December 9, 2012.
- "Student Of The Year". Bollywood Hungama. Retrieved 2012-10-18.
- "Student Of The Year Strong At Multiplexes". boxofficeindia. Retrieved 19 October 2012.
- "STUDENT OF THE YEAR MOVIE REVIEW". reviewgang.com.
- "1920 Evil Returns And Skyfall Have Good First Weeks". boxofficeindia. Retrieved 10 November 2012.
- "KJo launches 3 new faces". The Times of India. 6 January 2011.
- "There's no marriage in my kundli: KJo". The Times Of India.
- "Karan Johar (@kjohar25) op Twitter". Twitter.com. Retrieved 2012-08-19.
- Shukla, Soumil (17 August 2011). "Salman Khan, Shahrukh Khan almost came face to face". FilmiTadka. Retrieved 17 August 2011.
- "Forest Research Institute". Retrieved 5 August 2012.
- "Tata Motors' Nano Student of the Year goes to IIT Kharagpur's Deepit Purkayastha". Rush Lane. Retrieved 2012-11-05.
- "IIT student is \'Nano Student of the Year\'". Indiablooms.com. 2004-01-01. Retrieved 2012-11-05.
- "SOTY targets viewers with contest-based mktg". Exchange4media.com. 2012-10-18. Retrieved 2012-11-05.
- Joginder Tuteja (3 September 2012). "Student Of The Year (2012) - Music Critic Review by Joginder Tuteja". Bollywood Hungama. Retrieved 2012-10-18.
- IANS (10 October 2012). "Music Review: 'Student Of The Year' has minor flaws". CNN-IBN. Retrieved 2012-10-18.
- Satyajit (12 September 2012). "Student Of The Year Music Review - Yahoo!". Yahoo!. Retrieved 2012-10-18.
- Taran Adarsh (2012-10-18). "Student Of The Year (2012) - Critic Review by Taran Adarsh". Bollywood Hungama. Retrieved 2012-10-18.
- Madhureeta Mukherjee (2012-10-16). "Student Of The Year Review - The Times of India". The Times of India. Retrieved 2012-10-19.
- "IBNLive". Retrieved 20 October 2012.
- "Anupama Chopra's review: Student of the Year". Retrieved 20 October 2012.
- Sukanya Verma (2012-10-19). "Review: Student Of The Year is a fun watch". Rediff. Retrieved 2012-10-19.
- Rubina A Khan (2012-10-19). "Movie Review: With Student Of The Year, Karan Johar’s definitely not the director of the year". The First Post. Retrieved 2012-10-19.
- Kanika Sikka (2012-10-19). "Review: Student Of The Year is a typical Karan Johar wala film". DNA India. Retrieved 2012-10-19.
- Saibal Chatterjee (2012-10-19). "Movie Review: Student Of The Year - NDTV". NDTV. Retrieved 2012-10-19.
- Ananya Bhattacharya (2012-10-19). "Student Of The Year Review: Go watch a tepid movie-wala-film!". Zee News. Retrieved 2012-10-19.
- "Student Of The Year First Day Territorial Breakdown". boxofficeindia. Retrieved 20 October 2012.
- "Student Of The Year Second Day Business". boxofficeindia. Retrieved 21 October 2012.
- "Student Of The Year Has Decent Weekend". boxofficeindia. Retrieved October 22, 2012.
- "Student Of The Year Week One Territorial Breakdown". boxofficeindia. Retrieved 29 October 2011.
- "Student Of The Year Second Weekend Business". boxofficeindia. Retrieved 29 October 2012.
- "Student Of The Year Week Two Territorial Breakdown". boxofficeindia. Retrieved 5 November 2011.
- "Student of the Year is Below the Mark Overseas". Box Office India.com. 24 October 2012. Retrieved 25 October 2012.
- "Chakravyuh and Ajab Gazabb Love Have No Takers". BOXOFFICEINDIA. Retrieved 31 October 2012.
- "New Releases Dull Student Of The Year Heading For $2.25 Million Close". Box Office India.com. 7 November 2012. Retrieved 7 November 2012.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to: Student of the Year|
- Official website
- Student of the Year at the Internet Movie Database
- Student of the Year at Bollywood Hungama